Best Stud Finder: Walabot DIY
You’ve been searching high and low for the best stud finder. Amazon has lots to choose from, and there are plenty of others at home improvement stores. But some features can be confusing, and some devices seem to offer a lot more than others, backed by the latest technology to up their game.
The Walabot DIY is one of the most popular, emerging as a solution for plumbers, electricians, carpenters, and homeowners alike, who want to see through walls so they know what they’re getting into before they drill. But is it really the best wall scanner on the market? Let’s take a closer look at why this affordable option is receiving positive attention from media outlets like The New York Times, BBC News, and Fox.
What Is the Walabot DIY?
The Walabot DIY is a cutting-edge wall scanner that takes stud finder technology to the next level. Capable of “seeing” up to four inches into walls, it uses radio frequency technology to provide users with the location of studs, plumbing pipes, electric wires, and other objects hiding inside walls. Besides showing stationary items, Walabot DIY can show movement, which allows users to pinpoint the location of rodent nest sites and other infestations.
How Does this Stud Finder Work?
The Walabot DIY is a cutting-edge wall scanner that takes stud finder technology to the next level. Capable of “seeing” up to four inches into walls, it uses radio frequency technology to provide users with the location of studs, plumbing pipes, electric wires, and other objects hiding inside walls. Besides showing stationery items, Walabot DIY can show movement, which allows users to pinpoint the location of rodent nest sites and other infestations.
How Does this Stud Finder Work?
The Walabot DIY stud finder isn’t an actual X-ray unit. The tool itself is a sensor that is attached to the back of a compatible Android phone (v5.0 or higher) with USB On-The-Go. You then need to download the free Walabot DIY app from Google Play for it to work.
Once connected, you simply scan the Walabot DIY over the area in question to produce a visual image of what is behind the wall. It works on concrete walls and drywall and is capable of penetrating up to 4 inches of insulation.
Walabot DIY is the best budget-friendly wall scanner for locating wood studs, metal studs, metal and PVC plumbing pipes, electric wires, and cables. When properly calibrated following the manufacturer’s instructions, this handy tool takes the guesswork out of many tasks and prevents accidents that could cause serious damage or injury.
How to Use the Walabot DIY
Be sure that you have a compatible phone for working with Walabot DIY, i.e. an Android phone running Android 5.0 and above.
- Start by watching Walabot DIY ‘What’s the Drill’ series the to see what Walabot DIY can do.
- Now that you’re ready, download the Walabot DIY app to your phone.
- Next, using the micro USB cord the Walabot DIY comes with, connect the Walabot DIY to your Android phone.
- Choose the wall type you’ll be working on – drywall or concrete.
- Calibrate the Walabot DIY using the instructions outlined by the manufacturer. This takes about 30 seconds or less and needs to be done every time you use the device.
- Choose a viewing mode from the menu on your phone’s screen.
Types of Modes:
- Pan Mode – With a panoramic overview, you can map the wall’s interior features. A color-coding system makes it easier to identify different materials. This mode can be used as a one-time reference, or it can be saved for later use.
- Images Mode – This real-time imaging shows a clear picture of where objects are located within your wall. If you are looking for pests such as mice, rats, or termites inside the walls, this mode will reveal them. It’s also good for seeing studs, wires, pipes, and other items behind the wall.
- Expert Mode – This mode displays images of raw signals from the Walabot sensor unit. It’s ideal for finding a stud’s center and edges. If you are hanging shelves, cabinets, or other objects that need support from a stud, this is the best mode to use. You can also use it to trace the path of a wire or pipe along the wall.
Who Uses the Walabot DIY
This wall scanner is a great tool for anyone who wants to find studs and other features inside walls. Professional contractors, electricians, plumbers, handymen, and homeowners who enjoy DIY projects all find it very helpful, as it eliminates doubt and helps make a variety of tasks go more smoothly.
Bottom line: If you’re looking for the best wall scanner for your money, and you do projects that call for images of objects hidden in your walls – whether it’s a complete kitchen overhaul or hanging a simple picture frame – you’ll find the Walabot DIY makes a welcome addition to your toolbox.